Saturday, December 12, 2015

Recommended Read: Till Debt Do Us Part


Are you married and have you ever had questions about family finances?

Me too!

Boy, do I have a great book for you! It's called, "Till Debt Do Us Part," by Bernard Poduska (2000). I was able to read a few chapters of it for my marriage class and it has been very helpful.


What do I love about it? Why do I recommend it?

I love how it deals with both the financial aspect and the emotional aspect of money - it didn't try to separate the two, but recognized that our upbringing and our emotions and past experiences strongly influence how we spend money. I loved the ideas for creating marital peace, such as understanding each others backgrounds and personalities better.


I also loved how it had helpful suggestions for what to do children who are growing up, such as going fifty-fifty on purchases with them as teens so that they feel like you are on their side.


The other main idea I loved was the "launching fund," where parents agree to pay for certain things for a young adult who is ready to leave the home, and therefore help them launch into the world as responsible adults, but with a little help. For example, parents may choose to pay for a young adult's apartment for six months, paying for 100% of the rent the first month, 75% the second, and on down until the child is independent and paying their own rent. I am going to use this with my children! Children need to feel loved and wanted, but they also need help to stretch and grow. I find that these practices have a fair amount of balance between these two things and will help children be excited about getting out on their own and feeling like their parents are encouraging them. Yet, it also has a safe ending period so that the children aren't permanently dependent on their parents.

I valued the parts of the book that discussed how happiness in marriage is not static, but constantly changing, and that if we want to be happy in a marriage we must allow for change. I also like how it talked about being empty-nesters nowadays can mean that spouses are able to spend quality time with each other, making each other their first priority again in life instead of being depressed about not having any children at home. This gives me something to really look forward to as my children get older -- I love that perspective.


As a mother of four children, I enjoyed little comments the authors had like, "Parents are people, too." Ha! Thank you! Sometimes I feel so guilty for having needs as a mother and I am seeking to find that right balance between taking really good care of my kids without horribly neglecting myself or my sweet husband; a balance that could sure use improving all the time. Love that book!

No comments:

Post a Comment